Monday, June 10, 2013

I Need Thee Every Hour

For the past month or so, I've been overcome with the thoughts/ideas that Francis Chan wrote about in his book, Crazy Love. I've been thinking, "Man, this stuff is so fresh and so new. What an amazing concept to be in love with Jesus! I NEED Jesus like that." Dear reader, keep that in mind. OK?

This morning, I opened up my Bible to read the daily devotion and the lyrics to I Need Thee Every Hour were staring back up at me. Allow me to share them with you (just in case you've grown up in a time where the video screen and praise music is all that you know).

I need Thee ev'ry hour,
Most gracious Lord; No tender voice like Thine
can peace afford. I need Thee, O 


I need Thee;
Ev'ry hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to thee. 


I need Thee ev'ry hour,
Stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their pow'r
When thou art nigh. 


I need Thee ev'ry hour,
In joy or pain;
Come quickly, and abide,
Or life is vain. 


I need Thee ev'ry hour,
Teach me Thy will,
And Thy rich promises
In me fulfill 


The writer of this song, Annie Sherwood Hawks, died in 1918. 1918! So, I guess you can say that Francis Chan isn't as revolutionary as I thought. Ms. Hawks got it back then. She understood being totally in love with Jesus, and wrote this hymn acknowledging that need.

My point, I suppose, is that God remains the same throughout the ages. It's just that we humans need a reminder, every generation or so, that we need Him every hour.

No comments: